Sunday, February 19, 2012

Back to Work

Friday was my first day back to work since Little Man was born. I have the good fortune of only having to go back part-time for the rest of the academic year, but knowing that didn't really make the first day back any easier.
 
For me, the hardest part was actually Thursday night. As I gave Little Man his night-night feeding, I found that I didn't want it to end. He'd long since finished nursing and fallen asleep on my shoulder and I still sat there, holding him close and rocking him. After ten minutes, I steeled myself to get up and put him into his crib. After all, he needs his proper sleep just as I do. I kissed his little head as I laid him down, turned out his lamp, and quietly left his room.

Then I walked into the living room and lost it. I sobbed into my husband's shoulder for a good five minutes.

I recall having similar feelings when I had to return to work after Little Girl was born. And I know my feelings are not unique among the community of working moms. Whether we work because we want to or because we have to, we all miss our children and wish that we could have more time with them.

My biggest concern in going back to work is time management. How early do I have to get up to get myself ready, get Little Man's bottles and things ready, and get him up, dressed, fed, and in his car seat. I did okay on Friday, if leaving 10 minutes late without having eaten breakfast can be considered okay. (I say yes, it can be.)

Of course, the only reason I did that well was because I packed all his bottles and other things, laid out all my clothes in the bathroom, and packed my lunch the night before. Here's hoping I can continue to get all those things done in the evenings. If not, then I fear I'll be up the proverbial creek missing that all-essential paddle.

Fortunately, once at work, I was busy all day and it was 5:00 almost before I knew it. Thank goodness for small favors.

So far, the best lesson I've learned being a working mom of two is to plan and pack ahead as much as possible to make the mornings go smoothly.

What's your best tip for getting two or more kids out of the house on time in the mornings?

No comments:

Post a Comment