Tuesday, February 28, 2012

And We Hold Our Babies Tighter

We woke this morning to news that a second student passed away after being shot at Chardon High School yesterday. I was going to blog about my goals or something fluffy today, but I look at Little Man playing in his gym and I can't do it.

I wasn't planning on blogging about Chardon High School either, though, as the news outlets and other blogs have already done so quite eloquently. But I look at my son and I think of my daughter off at her preschool and I wonder how I'll explain things like this to them as they get older.

We talk frequently with our daughter about the blessings God gives us in life. And I know someday - probably sooner than I'd like - she'll ask me why God lets horrific things like this happen too. And I wonder whether I'll have an answer she'll be able to accept.

For now, I sit here and I cherish my children, grateful I got to hug and kiss them last night and greet them with a smile this morning.

And I send up prayers in support of all those for whom the world changed forever yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. All this breaks my heart. There are no words and all you can do is hold those close even closer. We had a talk last night with the kids about stranger danger and talked about how some grown-ups hurt kids. The looks of confusion on the girls faces' broke my heart. They just don't understand how people can hurt kids and it breaks my heart to have to prepare them for a world where things like this are a reality.

    ReplyDelete