Friday, January 20, 2012

One Fish, Two Fish... in the new tank

This weekend marks the grand opening of the long-awaited Greater Cleveland Aquarium. While I won't be there this weekend (bummer!), I'm looking forward to taking my daughter soon. She's enamored by fish of all sorts, especially sharks, and will watch the fish in the Cleveland Zoo exhibits for ages. Now I'll be able to take her to a place dedicated to showcasing some of the region's and world's diverse marine life and educating about the importance of conservation of these treasures.

The new aquarium features 10 exhibit areas and more than 40 different tanks, including a 500,000 walk-through tank! I can't wait to see my daughter's face as she watches fish swim all around and above her.

If your child is like mine and loves to learn new things, you might be interested in some of these websites that provide learning tools about fish and aquariums. I'm planning on introducing some of these things to my daughter before we go to the aquarium to help her get excited for the visit.
  • The Monterey Bay Aquarium in California has several lesson plan units designed for teachers leading field trips to the Aquarium, but they can easily be used by parents with their own children.
  • The website Teaching Heart has a full unit on ocean life, including printable activities, reading suggestions, and activities across subject areas, all focused on teaching elementary-age children about the creatures and habitats of the oceans.
When I first moved to Cleveland in September 1994, I was surprised to learn that the city didn't have an aquarium, especially one featuring the marine life of the Great Lakes. This new aquarium has been a long time coming and is just one more feather in Cleveland's cap as a great city of the midwest.

So if you're reading this blog post and are looking for something new and different to do with your family, I encourage you to plan a trip to Cleveland and the new Cleveland Aquarium.

Want other suggestions of great places to go in Cleveland? Just leave a comment and I'll be happy to reply!

No comments:

Post a Comment